- For the marinated tomatoes:
- 1 x 350 g pack Woolworths exotic tomatoes, washed and halved
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 100 g Tenderstem broccoli
- 60 g baby spinach
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 80 g Greek yoghurt
- 1 x 150 g tub Woolworths falafel
- 4 hot-dog rolls, toasted
1. Marinate the tomatoes in half the olive oil, the red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the onion and stir through.
2. Heat a pan, add the remaining olive oil and pan-fry the broccoli and spinach. Add the garlic and season with a little more salt.
3. Place the greens and the Greek yoghurt in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Preheat the oven to 200°C and heat the falafel for about 5 minutes. To assemble, spoon the green sauce into the rolls, place the warm falafel on top and spoon over the marinated tomatoes. Serve immediately.
Cook's note: “This fun sub, crammed with any leftover veggies you have, is a special one for the meat-free gang. You can make your own falafel from scratch (visit taste.co.za for inspo) but the real aim here is not to sweat. The green sauce is so amazing, you’ll probably cook extra greens so that you can repeat the meal.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen