- 2 medium bulbs fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 T olive oil
- 200 g mini asparagus
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400 g linguine, cooked al dente
- 1 lemon, finely zested
- 60 g Grana Padano, grated
- wild rocket, a handful
1. Moisten the fennel with 1–2 T oil. Flatten into a single layer on a grill pan. Grill until softened and starting to catch – it should take about 5 minutes, but turn halfway.
2. Remove the grilled fennel and set aside. Moisten the asparagus with 1 T oil, then place on the same grill pan. Grill for 3 minutes, or until just cooked and starting to catch. Season the grilled vegetables and add a little more
3. Place the stock and garlic in a large saucepan and reduce by a quarter over a high heat. Add the drained, hot pasta and mix well. Add the lemon zest and half the cheese. Turn onto a serving dish.
4. Top with the grilled vegetables and scatter over the remaining cheese. Check the seasoning. Add a handful of rocket, a drizzle of oil and a twist or two of pepper. Serve immediately.