- For the flapjacks:
- 180 g flour
- 3 T sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- a pinch salt
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 4 T butter, melted and at room temperature
- 3 free-range eggs, separated
- ¼ t cream of tartar
- For the cashew cream
- 100 g cashews
- ½ cup full-cream milk, plus 2 T
- salt a pinch
- 1 t vanilla paste
- ½ t ground cinnamon
- maple syrup, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. To make the flapjacks, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, butter and 1 egg yolk.
2. Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a separate bowl with an electric mixer at a medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until just combined (it’s okay if there are a few lumps).
4. Stir a third of the egg whites into the flour-and-milk mixture. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites until just combined, taking care not to overmix.
5. Coat a ring mould in the size of your choice with cooking spray – we used 7 cm ring moulds. Fry the flapjacks in the moulds in a nonstick pan until golden on both sides. Finish off in the oven for 10 minutes.
6. To make the cashew cream, blend all the ingredients until a smooth paste is formed. Serve on the hot flapjacks with the maple syrup.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Marcelle De Wet