Mogau Seshoene associates winter with her grandmother’s bean curry and the stories that she loved as a child, which is how her summer bean salad became a cold-weather curry.
- 2 T oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 t ginger, minced
- 1 t garlic, minced
- 2 t curry powder
- ½ t ground turmeric
- 2 tomatoes, grated
- 1 t sugar
- 1 cup water
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 200 g green beans, blanched
- 1 x 400 g can butter beans, drained
- 1 x 400 g can kidney beans, drained
- 1 x 400 g can black beans, drained
- coriander, to garnish
- rice or flatbread, for serving
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion for 1 minute over a medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic, curry powder and turmeric, and fry until the spices are fragrant.
2. Add the tomatoes, sugar and water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Stir in the coconut milk and combine well. Add the beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
4. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with rice or flatbreads.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Bianca Strydom
Food assistant: Marcelle De Wet