- 5 T butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 T flour
- 2 cups cream
- ½ cup milk
- 100 g Parmesan, grated, plus extra for serving
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 T olive oil
- 250 g Woolworths wood-smoked shoulder bacon, chopped
- 250 g Woolworths sliced portabellini mushrooms
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 16 lasagne sheets, cooked al dente
- 50 g breadcrumbs, toasted
1. Melt 3 T butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the cream and milk and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir occasionally so no lumps form. Stir in the Parmesan and season.
2. Heat 2 T olive oil in a separate a pan and fry the bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan and keep warm in the oven. Add the mushrooms, remaining butter and thyme to the same pan and fry until golden brown. Return the bacon to the pan.
3. To serve, divide the lasagne sheets between bowls and top with the cheese sauce, bacon, mushrooms, breadcrumbs and extra Parmesan.
Cook's note: To prevent the lasagne sheets from sticking to each other, brush with olive oil and place on a baking tray lined with clingwrap, with a sheet of clingwrap between each lasagne sheet. To warm, toss in a pan with olive oil and butter. Use any pasta with this sauce.
Photographs: Jan Ras