- 1.2 kg free-range lamb neck, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 g whole baby onions, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 fresh Italian herbs punnet, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 1 x 70 g tomato paste can
- 1 cup Juicy Red wine
- 1 lamb or beef stock
- 2 T olive oil
- Rosmarino (pasta rice), cooked according to package instructions, for serving
- Green beans steamed, for serving
Trim excess fat from the lamb. Season and place it, and the remaining ingredients, in a well-oiled casserole dish. Place a sheet of well-oiled greaseproof paper directly onto the surface of the lamb and chill overnight.
Preheat the oven to 100°C. Bring the lamb to a simmer on top of the stove, then cover tightly and roast for 10 hours, or until tender and starting to fall off the bone.
Check the seasoning and serve with the cooked rosmarino and steamed green beans.
Cook’s note: Serve with polenta instead of pasta.
Pop this dish into the oven in the morning for a no-fuss, robustly flavoured meal that night.