- 125 g rindless streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 5 T olive oil
- 1.5 kg free-range chicken pieces
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup liquid chicken stock
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bouquet garni
- 250 g button mushrooms
- 3 T butter
- 500 g French shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 T flour
- Parsley, chopped, for sprinkling
- 1 baguette, for serving
In a deep pan, sauté the bacon in 2 T oil until the fat runs. Set aside.
In the same pan, sauté the chicken pieces until browned. Remove from the pan and mix with the bacon. Season.
Add the onion to the pan and cook until soft. Stir in the stock and wine and bring to a boil. Add the tomato paste, garlic and herbs.
Return the chicken and bacon to the pan, top with a piece of oiled baking paper and the lid, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the bouquet garni.
Sauté the mushrooms in 1 T butter and 1 T oil and set aside.
Braise the shallots in 2 T olive oil, covered, for 30 minutes.
Rub 2 T flour with the remaining butter and whisk into the shallots until the juice is slightly thick. Spoon over the chicken. Add the mushrooms and sprinkle with parsley.
Serve with the baguette.