- 1 bunch Swiss chard or kale, rinsed and ribs removed
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- ½ English cucumber
- 1 lime, peeled and pith removed
- 25 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 T honey
- 3 large carrots, rinsed and scrubbed
- 2 oranges, peeled and quartered
- 1 ripe medium pineapple, peeled and cored
- 2 large beetroot, rinsed
- 2 ripe medium pineapples, peeled and cored
- 4 T cranberry juice
- Serve with:
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 6 scoops granadilla sorbet
1. Use a juicer to juice all the different fruits and veg according to their different colour themes, each in their own jugs. Start with the green, then orange, ending with the red.
2. Place the crushed ice into kid-friendly glasses and pour the different coloured juices into each. Top with a scoop of granadilla sorbet. Serve with a paper straw in each glass.
Cook's note: These are great juices packed with lots of vitamins and minerals. I often mix them with sparkling water to dilute slightly and to give them a little fizz.
This is an extract from Let’s Cook – Delicious Yet Nutritious Easy Meals and Treats for Kids by Siba Mtongana. Buy it online and at good bookstores for R290.
Photographs: Zhann Solomons
Production: Siba Mtongana and Brita Du Plessis