- 4 Woolworths Italian Green Back tomatoes (see Cook\\\'s note)
- 120 g cake flour
- 3 free-range eggs, beaten
- 100 g panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- For the buttermilk dressing, mix:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated or chopped
- Salt, to taste
Slice the tomatoes into 5 mm-thick slices, then dust in the flour. Dip the floured tomatoes into the beaten egg, coating well, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Set aside for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a deep saucepan.
Carefully place the tomatoes in the oil and fry in batches for no more than 45 seconds, or until golden brown and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
Drizzle the fried tomatoes with the buttermilk dressing before serving.
Cook's note: Italian Green Back tomatoes are included in Woolworths' exotic tomato selection. You can also use unripe red tomatoes.