This TikTok trend originated in Asia, where sweet potatoes sold on the side of the road or at open markets often freeze from exposure to the elements. The freezing process changes the potatoes on a cellular level. When baked they become very light in texture and caramelise. They’re often therefore served as a sweet dish, hence the sweet additions here.
- 4 Woolworths Kara orange sweet potatoes
- 2 cups Yoghurt, to serve
- Granola to sprinkle
- Woolworths toffee dessert sauce, to serve
- Toasted sesame seeds, to sprinkle
1. Wash and freeze 4 sweet potatoes of more or less the same size. Allow to freeze overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C°. Place frozen potatoes on a lined baking tray and bake for 1 – 1 ½ hours until they are super soft and fluffy on the inside and the natural sugars are oozing out of the skins almost like a caramel.
3. Serve warm torn open over plain yoghurt, crunchy granola and drizzle with sticky toffee sauce and nutty toasted sesame seeds.
I tried the Kara Orange sweet potatoes which are beautiful and vibrant in colour but also a lot more moist – like a sweet pumpkin which we South Africans love. They came out really lush – way more fluffy and soft than normal. You can also use ordinary sweet potatoes though the result is likely to be more spongy as they have less moisture and more starch.
Production: Hannah Lewry
Videography: Romy Wilson