“After the overindulgence of Christmas Day, we always swear that the next day’s menu will consist of water and Salticrax. However, on waking up on 26 December, that’s all forgotten. The perfect job for my gammon and chipotle croque madame! Thick slices of leftover gammon with Woolies’ chipotle sauce and sliced Boerenkaas, sandwiched between toasted sourdough, smothered in béchamel sauce, cooked under the grill and topped with a runny fried egg.”
- Woolworths chipotle sauce, for spreading
- 4 slices Woolworths sourdough
- 4 thick slices gammon
- 100 g Woolworths Boerenkaas, grated or sliced
- 2 T butter, plus extra for frying the eggs
- 250 g Woolworths fresh béchamel sauce
- 2 free-range eggs
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Spread 2 slices of sourdough with the chipotle sauce, then top with gammon and cheese. Sandwich with
the remaining slices of bread.
2. Heat half the butter in an ovenproof pan until it just begins to bubble. Add the sandwiches and swirl around the pan to absorb all the butter.
3. Toast in the pan for 2 minutes with the lid on to help the cheese melt, then remove the sandwiches from the pan and add a little more butter. Return the sandwiches to the pan with the untoasted side down, swirling the butter again. Pour over the béchamel and place under the grill at 200°C for 6–8 minutes, or until the béchamel starts to bubble and just begins charring.
4. While the sandwich is in the oven, fry 2 eggs and season with salt and pepper. Remove the croque madame from the oven and top with the eggs. Serve with extra chipotle sauce.
Cook’s note: If you like, add some sautéed spinach between the gammon and cheese. This recipe is a great way of using stale bread.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Bianca Strydom