- 1 kg potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 10 g thyme, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 80 g Grana Padano, grated, plus extra for serving
- 4 T olive oil
- 30 g chicken stock powder
- 2 cups water
- 15 g thyme, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Thinly slice potatoes lengthways using a knife or mandolin.
2. Arrange the potato slices upright in a greased baking dish – you should have 4 rows of thinly sliced potatoes.
3. Mix the garlic with the thyme, grated cheese and oil. Pour over the potatoes.
4. Mix the stock powder and water until dissolved. Pour between the potatoes, filling half of the baking dish.
5 Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked.
6 Remove the foil and bake for a further 5 minutes. Serve with extra thyme and cheese.
Photography: Jan Ras
Recipes: Brita du Plessis
Food assistant: Josh van Zyl
With its crystal-like, crumbly texture and mild, delicate flavour, it’s no mystery why Grana Padano is so popular. Its consistently excellent quality is due to each wheel being examined at nine months by an impartial technician from the official Consortium of Grana Padano. Only after this does a wheel of Grana Padano receive its iconic firebrand – your guarantee of authenticity and exceptional flavour.