- 1 x 900 g Woolworths whole smoked gammon
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 2 litres grape juice
- 230 g brown sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 250 g Emmenthal, sliced
- 1 loaf Woolworths crushed oatmeal sourdough, sliced
- 4 T Woolworths burger mayo
- For the “kraut”, mix:
- 300 g Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 t fennel seeds
- 1 T fresh fennel, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the gammon in a baking tray, pour over the chicken stock and half the grape juice, then cover in foil. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked through.
2. While the gammon is cooking, place the remaining grape juice, brown sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Allow to bubble until thickened to a glaze-like consistency.
3. Remove the gammon from the oven and allow to rest. Once cooled, carefully remove the rind and score the fat. Glaze with the grape glaze, return to the oven and turn on the grill. Caramelise for 20 minutes, basting continually. Once the gammon is ready, remove from the oven and slice.
4. To assemble the sandwiches, spread the bread with mayonnaise and load up with slices of roast gammon, Emmenthal, spoonfuls of the “kraut” and a drizzle of grape glaze.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen