- 8 grapefruit, juiced
- 1 x 6 cm piece ginger, grated and juiced
- 2 T caster sugar
- 10 gelatine leaves, bloomed in water
- Woolworths vanilla ice cream, for serving
1. If you’re using glass jelly moulds, grease with cooking spray. Combine the grapefruit and ginger juice in a bowl. You need about 3 cups of liquid. Remove ½ cup of the liquid and heat in a small saucepan over a medium heat, then add the caster sugar and make sure it has dissolved completely.
2. Once the grapefruit juice is hot, remove from the heat and whisk in the gelatine leaves. Return that liquid to the original juice, whisking well to make sure everything is combined.
3. Pour the jelly mixture into the moulds and chill for at least 3 hours, but overnight is best.
4. Once set, unmould and serve with the ice cream.
Cook's note: Serve this zingy jelly with vanilla custard and slices of Woolworths’ marbled tea cake loaf. Assembly genius.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistant: Gail Damon