- 200 g shoulder bacon, chopped
- 60 g dry breadcrumbs very finely ground
- 2 T Parmesan cheese grated
- 125 g vine tomatoes
- 1 T aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 30 g butter
- 1 T all-purpose flour
- 125 ml full-cream milk
- 125 ml cream
- 200 g Emmenthal cheese, grated
- 1/2 t fresh nutmeg, grated
- Kalahari salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300 g rigatoni pasta, cooked until al dente and drained
Preheat the oven to 220°C.
Grill the bacon until crisp. Mix with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
Drizzle the tomatoes with balsamic and olive oil and roast for 10 minutes or until soft.
In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the fl our, stirring continuously, to form a paste.
Cook for 1 minute, then remove from the heat and gradually add the milk and cream, whisking continuously. Return to the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring. Add the Emmenthal and nutmeg and season.
Arrange the rigatoni standing upright in a greased baking dish. Ladle the sauce into the pasta tubes, ensuring all the pasta is covered. Arrange the roast tomatoes on top and sprinkle with the cheesy bacon crumbs.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.