- 125 red onion, sliced
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 6 large slices country-style bread
- 3 vine tomatoes, sliced
- 250 g Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Mix all the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the onion and leave to soak for 5 minutes.
Remove the onion and toss the spinach leaves in the remaining dressing.
Top 3 slices of bread with the spinach leaves, tomato slices, onion, feta and black pepper then cover with the remaining bread slices.
Place sandwiches in a heated jaffle iron or place over a hot fire and cook on both sides until golden brown. Serve warm.