- vegetable oil, for frying
- 300 g green beans, sliced diagonally
- 3 T fresh mint roughly chopped
- 1 t garam masala
- 150 g cake flour
- ½ t baking powder
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, seeded and chopped
- 2 free-range eggs
- For the dressing, blend:
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 50 g plain yoghurt
- 100 g roasted, salted cashew nuts
- 1 t fresh ginger, crus
1. Preheat the oil to 160°C, or bring to a medium-high heat. Check to see if the oil is ready for frying by dropping a tiny amount of pakora batter into the oil. If it bubbles and floats, it’s ready.
2. In a bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients. Using two tablespoons, spoon the mixture into the oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve hot with the dressing.
Cook's note: Pakoras are an excellent way to enjoy any veggie. They’re delightful with this creamy dip.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Emma Nkunzana