- 6 cups light chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 large spring onions, sliced into sections
- 1 stick celery, sliced into short lengths
- 1 x 4 cm piece ginger, sliced
- 2 T caster sugar
- 2 good handfuls of sliced Asian cabbage leaves (such as bok choy)
Heat the stock in a large pan, then add the white parts of the spring onion, as well as the celery, ginger, sugar and salt, to taste.
Bring to a boil, then gently simmer for 20 minutes. Pass through a sieve, reserving the liquid and discarding the sieved remains. Add the Asian greens and boil for 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Cook’s notes: The broth and greens can be served separately or, for a main-course soup, ladled onto pork noodles. Prawns can also be added.
Leaf soups are the lightest of broths, providing a spot-on counterbalance to rich foods, as well as a delightful way to eat veggies.