- 4 leeks, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 T parsley chopped
- 1-2 Parmesan rinds
- 2 litres Woolworths organic chicken or vegetable stock
- 700 g baby sweet potatoes, sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2x 400 g borlotti beans cans
- 180 g kale or cavolo nero, chopped
- ¼ day-old ciabatta loaf, torn into chunks
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 100 g Woolworths sliced Italian smoked pancetta, fried (optional)
1. Soften the leeks and onion in the olive oil in a large saucepan over a very low heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute, then add the celery, parsley and Parmesan rinds and fry for a further 3 minutes.
2. Pour in the stock, add the sweet potato and season. Simmer for 20 minutes, then turn off the heat and remove the Parmesan rinds. Add the beans and kale, then top with the ciabatta.
3. Drizzle generously with extra virgin olive oil and season with a crack of black pepper. Stir at the table and serve with pancetta.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistant: Kate Ferreira