- For the crispy onions:
- 3 baby red onions, sliced
- flour, for dusting
- 2 cups canola oil
- For the grilled summer greens:
- 400 g Woolworths Tenderstem broccoli
- 150 g Woolworths fine green beans
- 350 g Woolworths asparagus spears
- For the salsa verde, mix:
- 5 gherkins, chopped
- 3 T gherkin pickling liquid
- 5 T olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 3 T parsley chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 T Woolworths white balsamic vinegar
- 2 T capers
1. To make the crispy onions, dip the onion in water, then into the flour. Shake off any excess flour and repeat. Fry in batches in the oil until lightly golden and crispy.
2. While you’re frying the onions, blanch the asparagus and green beans for 2 minutes in salted, boiling water. Blanch the broccoli for 5 minutes.
3. Heat a griddle pan until smoking hot, then cook the greens in batches for 1–2 minutes on each side until lightly charred and tender.
4. Serve the greens and onions with the salsa verde.
Cook's note: Blanch and refresh the greens in a bowl of iced water to stop the cooking process. This will keep the veggies green and crunchy.
Photograph: Andrea van der Spuy
Food Assistants: Kate Ferreira & Emma Nkunzana