I adore the balance a seafood dish brings to an Eid menu. Whether it’s prawns, a seafood mix or lobster, it is always a win and a firm favourite for me! For a lighter main meal option or as a perfect side, these tasty grilled lobster tails are ideal and are made using basic ingredients I enjoy to give the lobster the spotlight it deserves.
- 6 lobster tails
- 150 g butter
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 t ground green chillies
- 2 T fish spice
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 T parsley, chopped
- olive oil, for brushing
- 1 cup cream
1. Using sharp kitchen scissors, cut through the lobster shells from the top of each tail up to where the body used to be. Using a sharp knife, cut through the lobster meat all the way to the bottom of the shell to cut the tail in half lengthwise. Rinse, pat dry and set aside in a greased ovenproof dish.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and braise for a few seconds, then add the chillies, fish spice and seasoning. Stir and braise for a few more seconds. Add the lemon juice and parsley, stir and remove from the heat.
3. Baste the lobster tails with the olive oil and season, then grill in the oven, flesh side down, for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven, baste with half of the garlic butter mixture (at the most), then return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
4. While the lobster is in the oven, mix the cream with the remaining garlic-butter mixture over a medium heat and stir to combine.
5. Remove the lobster from the oven and pour over the garlic butter. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Khanya Mzongwana