- 500 g pink fir potatoes, parboiled until tender
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh coriander a handful, to garnish
- Cumin salt, for serving
- For the pickled cucumber salad:
- 4 T water
- 4 T white wine vinegar
- 4 T raw brown sugar
- 1 T salt
- Fish sauce, to taste
- 200 g baby Israeli cucumbers, sliced lengthways on a mandolin
- 1 onion, sliced
Slice the potato lengthways while still warm and drizzle with 3 T olive oil. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Grill the potatoes over hot coals, until the edges char and faint grill marks begin to appear. Remove and combine the potatoes with the pickled cucumber salad, then dress with the remaining olive oil. Garnish with coriander and season to taste with cumin salt.
To make the pickled cucumber salad, bring the water, vinegar, sugar and salt to the boil in a saucepan. Add the fish sauce, then pour the pickle over the cucumbers and onions. Allow the vegetables to steep for 20 minutes, then drain off the pickling liquid.
Read more about MasterChef SA culinary producer Arnold Tanzer