- 4 wholewheat pita breads
- 250 g hummus
- 4 Israeli tomatoes, thinly sliced
- About 200g halloumi cheese
- Dried oregano and olive oil for sprinkling
- 1 cup shredded crisp lettuce
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 spring onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons shredded basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 crushed clove garlic
- Sea salt and milled black pepper
Split the pita breads across. Spread with hummus, add a layer of sliced tomato.
Top with shavings of halloumi and sprinkle with oregano and olive oil.
Add a grinding of pepper and slide under a hot grill until the cheese melts and the edges brown.
Mix together the topping ingredients and spoon over sandwiches and serve immediately.
A substantial sandwich that’s good for a casual lunch. It’s just as delicious with crumbled feta in place of halloumi.