- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- a thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup sherry cup
- 4 Woolworths steak mushrooms, peeled
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 2 T sesame seeds
- 4 T Woolworths pickled ginger
1. Combine the teriyaki sauce, ginger, garlic and sherry in a dish and marinate the mushrooms for at least an hour, or overnight.
2. Heat a pan and add the oil and sesame seeds. Fry over a medium heat for 4–5 minutes, or until golden brown and nutty.
3. Braai the mushrooms over a medium-high flame until softened and well charred. Serve on a platter with the sesame seed oil and pickled ginger on top.
Cook's note: I gave these mushies the teriyaki treatment and the caramelisation that happens on the braai is magnificent! The marinade is delicious with any veg.
Photograph: Willow Tucker