- 3 potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 free-range egg
- 1 T flour, plus extra for dusting
- 300 g smoked haddock fillet, diced
- 1 bulb fennel, finely chopped
- 1 T fennel sprigs
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Oil, for frying
- Tomato relish, for serving
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Boil the potatoes until soft, drain and return to the pot. Mash roughly, add the egg and flour and mix well.
Combine the remaining ingredients (except the oil and tomato relish) in a bowl, then add the potato mixture and mix well. Shape the mixture into 8 rounds. Dust with flour, then chill for 20 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Fry the fish cakes until golden on both sides. Transfer to a greaseproof paper-lined baking tray and finish in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve with the tomato relish. It can be bought online at Woolworths, or try to make your own.