- 20 rustic baguette thin slices
- 80 g butter, softened
- Dijon mustard, for spreading
- 125 g gypsy ham, thinly sliced
- 100 G Emmenthal cheese, sliced
- 6 extra-large free-range eggs
- 1¼ cups full-cream milk cups
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Green salad, for serving
Spread the sliced bread with butter and mustard, then sandwich with the ham and cheese.
Place the sandwiches into a wellbuttered baking dish in a single layer. Butter the exposed bread.
Beat the eggs with the milk, season and pour over the sandwiches. Prick well to allow the sandwiches to absorb the custard mixture.
Allow to stand for 30 minutes while preheating the oven to 180°C, pricking again once or twice. Bake for 30 minutes or until slightly puffed, crisp and golden. Serve with a green salad.