- For the dressing:
- 1 x 250 ml tub crème fraîche
- ½ cup mixed fresh herbs (we used basil, Italian parsley and mint), chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch Woolworths baby yellow beetroot
- 3 T olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 bunch celery leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 10 g Italian parsley, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. To make the dressing, blend all the ingredients until smooth, then chill until required.
2. Slice the beetroot hasselback-style by slicing them at ½ cm intervals, taking care not to slice all the way through. To make it easier, place the beetroot in the bowl of a wooden spoon and slice, the spoon will prevent you from slicing all the way through.
3. Place the beetroot on a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Roast until tender, about 35–45 minutes.
4. When the beetroot is ready, drizzle the celery leaves and spring onions with olive oil and season with salt. Serve the beetroot on the greens, topped with the dressing.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom, Jarryd Thesen, Mogau Seshoene