These make great snacks before the main event, and Woolies’ fondue kit will do the heavy lifting for you.
- 1 litre water
- 1 T salt
- 200 g Woolworths braai pap
- 10 g parsley, finely chopped
- 10 g coriander, finely chopped
- 20 g butter
- 60 g Parmesan, grated
- 2 T olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 t Woolworths braai spice
- 1 x 400 g Woolworths cheese fondue kit
1. Place the water and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the pap and stir to combine. Stir every 2 minutes until well combined, then simmer over a low heat for 20–25 minutes. Stir through the herbs and butter.
2. Place the pap in a lined 20 x 20 cm cake tin and press into the tin. Place another tin on top and weight down with something heavy such as a few cans of food. Chill for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
3. Just before serving, remove the pap from the fridge and cut into long fingers 2 cm thick. Place the fingers onto a lined baking tray.
4. Sprinkle over the Parmesan and drizzle with olive oil. Place under the grill until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Alternatively, place in a toasted sandwich maker, drizzle with olive oil and turn over until they start to brown. Sprinkle over the Parmesan until it starts to melt, or sprinkle over the warm braai dippers to serve.
5. Combine the braai spice and olive oil and heat in pan until it starts to sizzle.
6. Prepare the cheese fondue according to package instructions. Serve the braai dippers with the cheese fondue and the spicy oil.
Photographs: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Food assistants: Claire-ellen Van Rooyen and Ellen Schwerdtfeger