This recipe will give you a feta-like vegan cheese. I use nuts, but you can also use soaked or fermented sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds will yield a softer cheese, but it is just as delicious. It keeps very well and will last for a week in the fridge. I use it for all my cheese needs, including as a topping for salads.
- 1 1/2 cups almonds, pre-soaked
- 1/2 cups lemon juice
- 1/4 cups olive oil
- 1/4 cups water
- 1 T Seasoning herb salt
1. Preheat the oven to 190 °C.
2. Drain and rinse the almonds, then blend with the lemon juice, oil and water. Blend until smooth, thick and creamy.
3. Stir in the salt. (Find Mokgadi's recipe for herb salt here.)
4. Scoop the mixture out and shape into one large round, or mould into the desired shape using a silicone mould.
5. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper and drizzle with a little olive oil.
6. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
7. Allow to cool completely before serving with crackers or on toast.
The following extract is taken from Veggielicious by Mokgadi Itsweng, published by Human & Rousseau and retailing for R375.