- 300 g desiccated coconut
- 2 free-range eggs, separated
- 4 T caster sugar
- 2 x 250 g sheets Woolworths all-butter puff pastry, thawed
- 200 g chunky strawberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a florentine tray with butter.
2. Mix the coconut, egg whites and caster sugar until incorporated.
3. Using a 5 cm cookie cutter, cut 9 rounds out of each piece of pastry and place on the prepared tray. Top each piece with a spoonful of jam and a spoonful of coconut mixture, pinch the coconut mixture slightly so that it stays together.
4. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Cook’s note: The puff pastry can be rerolled and used again once only, after which it will not rise well. Instead of throwing away the leftover pastry, bake it and dust with icing sugar when it comes out of the oven to serve with ice cream or custard.