- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 red chilli, sliced lengthways
- 1 green chilli, sliced lengthways
- 1 t mixed peppercorns
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices white bread
- butter, for spreading
- 200 g Cheddar cheese, grated
To make the pickled onion, heat the red wine vinegar, chillies, peppercorns and garlic in a saucepan over a medium heat. Once it comes to a gentle simmer, remove it from the heat.
Add the sliced onions and allow the liquid to cool slightly.
Place four slices of bread butter- side down. Top with the grated cheese and the pickled onions. Close up with the remaining slices of bread, butter side up.
Place the sandwiches in a jaffle iron and toast over the braai or a medium flame on a gas stove for about 3 minutes each side. Serve immediately.