- 200 g brown rice
- 200 g Woolworths tempura flour
- 1¼ cups ice-cold soda water
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced into strips
- 1 cup canola oil
- 100 g butter
- 1 Woolworths prepared garlic and chilli cube of each
- mint, for serving
- coriander, for serving
- 3 spring onions, sliced, for serving
- fresh chillies, chopped, for serving
- peas, blanched, for serving
- 50 g roasted peanuts, for serving
- For the soya-and-ginger marinated tofu:
- 150 g Woolworths firm tofu, cubed
- ½ cup soya sauce
- 1 Woolworths prepared ginger cube
- 2–3 T honey or brown sugar
1. Cook the rice according to package instructions. Meanwhile, marinate the tofu in the soya sauce and ginger.
2. Prepare the tempura batter according to package instructions. Remove the tofu from the soya sauce and submerge in the batter. Place the soya marinade in another pan with the honey or brown sugar and simmer until slightly thickened. Reserve for serving.
3. Fry the leeks in the hot oil until lightly golden, then remove using a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
4. Fry the tofu in batches in the same oil in which you fried the leeks. Just before serving, place the butter in a large wok with the garlic and chilli. When the butter has melted, stir through the rice until warm and coated. Serve with the crispy tofu, spring onions, herbs, fried leeks, peas and peanuts.
Cook's note " Leeks are my favourite way to start cooking most dishes. I always have a packet in the fridge; they add depth of flavour to meals and have a particular sweetness that the everyday onion can’t compete with. They’re also great for simple dishes like risotto, broths, or even omelettes."
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Food assistants: Claire Gooderson & Emma Nkunzana