- 100 g 70% dark chocolate, tempered
- 100 g mini marshmallows
- 4 T hot chocolate powder
1. Temper the chocolate. Check out our guide on how to temper chocolate here.
2. Spray the ice trays with cooking spray to prevent the chocolate from sticking.
3. Coat the solid side of the ice tray (the side without the hole) with a layer of chocolate. Keep making layers until you have a thickish layer of chocolate. You need to make 8 halves of chocolate to create 4 bombs.
4. Fill the one side of the bomb with a few marshmallows and a spoonful of hot chocolate powder. Stick an empty half onto the filled half by heating up a saucepan and melting the one side of the chocolate so that it can stick to the other one. Allow to set.
5. To serve, place in a cup and pour a cup of hot milk over the bomb. Allow to melt.
Cook's note: This recipe became popular on TikTok and Instagram reels, and this recipe is the result of our team testing out the trend. Our conclusion: while it looks great on the ‘gram, this is not an easy recipe to pull off! If you’ve never worked with chocolate before, this might not be the best place to start. Before beginning, you will need to temper the chocolate, otherwise it will melt at room temperature and your bombs will collapse before you get a chance to put them into a cup. You’ll also need circular ice cube trays to create the sphere.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Bianca Strydom
Food assistant: Irinja Bekker