- For the tomato sauce:
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T butter
- 200 g leeks, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- salt, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 cup beef stock
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 x 800 g Woolworths Italian whole peeled tomatoes can, blended
- 3 T tomato paste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the meatballs:
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup milk
- 500 g Woolworths lean beef mince
- 500 g pork mince
- 1 red onion, grated
- 4 T Italian parsley roughly chopped
- 50 g Parmesan finely grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 T olive oil
- 1 x 500 g Woolworths tagliatelle pasta packet, cooked al dente, for serving
- Parmesan, for serving
- basil, to garnish
To make the tomato sauce, heat the olive oil and butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the leeks and onions and cook until soft, seasoning with salt.
Add the garlic, rosemary and thyme and cook for 3 minutes, then pour in the wine. Reduce the wine by half, then add the beef stock, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with pepper.
Cook, covered, over a low heat for 45 minutes.
To make the meatballs, preheat the oven to 180°C. Soak the bread in the milk. Squeeze out any excess milk and place in a large bowl. Add the mince, onion, parsley and Parmesan and season to taste.
Mix together using your hands. Roll into 20 small balls or 15 slightly larger ones. 6 Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Brown the meatballs in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the pan.
Arrange the meatballs on a baking tray and finish in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Place the pasta in a serving dish. Mix the meatballs and tomato sauce, then spoon over the pasta. Serve with Parmesan and garnish with basil.
Cook’s note: If you omit the wine from the sauce, double the quantity of beef stock. You can also use all beef mince instead of half pork.