“Kale and orange are a stunning pair in this fresh, wintry salad, which belongs wherever you put it: stacked onto spicy grilled fish, crammed into a rice roll or eaten just as is.” – Khanya Mzongwana
- 1 bunch kale, washed and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 T white wine vinegar
- 1 T wholegrain mustard
- 1 t fresh ginger, grated
- 100 g mayonnaise
- 1 small kohlrabi, thinly sliced
- 2 large oranges, segmented
- 1 T sesame seeds, toasted
1. Using your hands, squeeze or massage the kale to soften it and help it to absorb the dressing.
2. To make the dressing, combine the orange juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, vinegar, mustard, ginger and mayonnaise in a large bowl. Add the kale, kohlrabi and orange segments and toss together well. Scatter over the sesame seeds and serve.
Cook's note: If you can’t find kohlrabi, use radishes, which are also part of the brassica family.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Khanya Mzongwana
Food assistant: Thalia Pillay