- 500 g pumpkin or butternut , peeled and cubed
- 2 t sugar
- 2 cups water
- a pinch salt
- 375 g maize meal
- 1 T peanut butter
1. Place the pumpkin in a saucepan with a little water and cook for about 25 minutes, or until soft. Once cooked, mash the pumpkin and sprinkle in the sugar.
2. Place 2 cups water in a separate saucepan, add the salt and bring to a boil.
3. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium and gradually add the maize meal, stirring until well incorporated. Cover the saucepan and cook over a medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in the pumpkin and peanut butter and reduce the heat to low. Cook a further 5 minutes. The consistency should be like a runny porridge.
Cook's note: Kgodu is a Sepedi recipe very similar to the Zulu isijingi. This version is my grandma’s – she adds peanut butter, which is optional.