This dessert is my childhood in every bite. For as long as I can remember my mother, Shoneez Marks, has whipped up this cardamom-infused creamy dessert. She now has a standing order to prepare this for her friends every Eid. It is truly loved by all!
- 1 litre milk
- 4 T semolina
- 3 T cornflour
- 1 x 385 g can condensed milk
- 1 x 155 g can dessert cream
- 1 t ground cardamom
- desiccated coconut and ground cardamom, to garnish
1. Whisk together the milk, semolina and cornflour until smooth, then pour into a small saucepan. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil, whisking continuously until it thickens, then remove from the heat.
2. Add the condensed milk, cream and cardamom to the boiling milk, whisk to combine.
3. Pour the mixture into the desired dish(es) and garnish with desiccated coconut and the cardamom. Allow to cool then chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Khanya Mzongwana