- 1 kg finely minced lean lamb
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 t freshly ground allspice
- 2 cups finely chopped Italian parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Mix together all the ingredients. Shape into ovals, spike on skewers and char-grill.
Sprinkle with thinly sliced onion, finely chopped parsley and sumac.
Hummus may be served as a sauce on the side.
Cook’s notes: Alternatively, form into small balls, brown with sliced onion, then simmer with tomato paste diluted with enough water to cover.
Or, if you like, form into balls, brown with sliced onion, then bake with pomegranate molasses diluted with enough water or stock to cover.
Spread thinly on split flatbreads, then bake or grill.
Use lean beef instead of lamb, if you like.
Per serving: 1156.3kJ, 23.63g protein, 18.1g fat, 2g carbs