- 500 g potatoes, cubed
- 50 g butter
- 3½ T olive oil
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 100 g mango atchar
- 300 g sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 t sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500 g Russian sausages
- 550 g puff pastry
- 50 g mature Cheddar, finely grated, plus extra for topping
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
1. Cook the potatoes in simmering water until tender. Drain and dry.
2. Melt the butter in a pan. Add 1 T oil and 2 rosemary sprigs. Add the potatoes and increase the heat. Fry the potatoes until golden brown. Drain and set aside to cool.
3. Drain the atchar in a sieve. Finely chop the pieces of mango. Place the sundried tomatoes in a pan with 2 T oil over a medium heat. Cook until it reaches a paste consistency. Add the red wine and remaining rosemary, chopped. Reduce to a chunky sauce. Add the sugar, salt and pepper. Stir and set aside.
4. Skin and cut the Russian sausages into large cubes. Fry in oil. Roll out the puff pastry. Grease a 25 cm loaf tin with cooking spray and line with the puff pastry.
5. Layer the bottom of the pie with the potatoes. Add the Cheddar to the Russian sausages and layer on top of the potatoes. Top with more finely grated Cheddar and the chopped mango.
6. Place the tomato sauce on top and seal the pie with a layer of puff pastry. Brush with the beaten egg.
7. Bake at 180°C until golden brown.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food assistant: Kate Ferreira