- 1,5 kg free-range lamb leg on the bone (approx.)
- For the marinade, mix:
- 3 lemons, juiced (and 1 zested)
- 1 rosemary sprig, leaves picked
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 t (level) salt
- 1 t (heaped) crushed black pepper
- 1 t dried origanum
- 3 1/2 T olive oil
- For the sauce:
- 200 g jar artichoke quarters, drained
- 75 g tomato paste
- 4 T ouzo
- 1 cup fresh cream
1. Coat the lamb leg in the marinade and marinate overnight or for 6–7 hours.
2. Sear the marinated lamb in a pan over a high heat, ensuring you keep turning it to crisp the whole leg.
3. Place in a roasting pan, cover with a lid and roast for 4 hours at 160ºC.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then slice or pull the lamb and return to the roasting pan. Add the artichokes, tomato paste and ouzo. Cook until heated through, then add the cream and stir to combine for the last 10 minutes.
Cook's note: if you're making this ahead, cook up until the point of adding the cream. Only add the cream when everything is heated through and you're ready to serve.
This recipe comes from iconic Cape Town eatery, Maria's Greek Cafe in Dunkley square.