The secret to the best braaied sweetcorn of your life? A marinade of chipotle, lemon, coriander and Parmesan. The ribbetjies are best cooked low and slow on a stand rib or 'staanrib' - a grid that can be rotated over the fire - but you can also do them on a normal grid, ideally one that can close securely, standing up alongside the coals.
- 600 g Woolworths free-range lamb ribbetjies
- 1 x 300 ml bottle Woolworths smoky BBQ braai marinade
- rosemary, thyme and sage, for basting
- 4 cobs sweetcorn
- 60 g butter
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 T Woolworths chipotle in adobo
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 15 g coriander, chopped
- 30 g Parmesan, grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Coat the ribbetjies in the marinade, place in a stand-up braai grid, then braai over medium coals for 2–3 hours. Keep turning the grid to cook the ribbetjies slowly and to prevent the marinade from burning. You can also use a normal braai grid, but make sure it's far enough away from the coals so that the ribs cook very slowly.
2. Tie the herbs together and use to baste the ribbetjies with the marinade as they cook.
3. Braai the sweetcorn over medium coals until charred and cooked through. Heat the butter in a cast-iron pan over medium coals until bubbling, then add the remaining ingredients except the Parmesan. Pour the butter over the corn when the ribbetjies are ready and top with the Parmesan.
Cook's note: It’s best not to rush the cooking of the ribbetjies. If you cook them too fast, they'll be tough. Opt for a lower temperature and settle in for an afternoon of basting and turning.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom