- 750 g free-range lamb knuckles, at room temperature
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 70 g tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups lamb or chicken stock
- ½ garlic head
- rosemary a few sprigs
- 250 g fusilli
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- lightly dressed rocket, for serving
- Parmesan, nely grated, for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Brown the lamb in 1–2 T oil in a large, heavy-based casserole. Remove and set aside. Season lightly and pour o any excess fat.
2. In the same casserole, gently soften the vegetables, adding a little more olive oil. Stir in the tomato paste and wine and allow to bubble and reduce slightly.
3. Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Return the lamb to the casserole, submerging it in the liquid. Add the garlic and rosemary. Place baking paper directly onto the surface and cover with a tightly fitting lid. Bake for 1½–2 hours, or until meltingly tender. Remove the rosemary and discard. Mash in the garlic.
4. Cook the fusilli in boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain and immediately mix with the hot lamb. Check the seasoning. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve with the rocket.
Cook's note: “Always a favourite, braised lamb plus pasta makes for a satisfying dish that’s well worth the fairly long cooking time."
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food assistant: Kate Ferreira