- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup iced water, divided
- 3 cups sunflower oil
- plums, red onion, radishes and beetroot, to serve
1. Depending on the size of your mortar, you may need to make this recipe in smaller batches, halving or quartering the ingredient amounts. In the mortar, combine the garlic and salt and grind until it becomes a smooth paste.
2. Work the oil into the paste 1 t at a time. After adding 1 T oil, work in a few drops of lemon juice. Repeat until all the oil, lemon juice, and water have been incorporated.
3. Serve with sliced plums, red onion, radishes and beetroot. Also works well with lamb chops or as a salad dressing.
Cook's note: Makes 1 cup.