- 30 g butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 200 g baby leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 500 g potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 10 free-range eggs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- sour cream, for serving
- snipped chives, for serving
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large ovenproof pan, about 28 cm. Add the leeks and cook gently until softened. Stir in the garlic.
2. Add the potatoes and stir to coat. Spread out to cover the pan. Pour in the stock and simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Allow to cool.
3. Whisk the eggs, then pour over the vegetables. Cook over a gentle heat for 15–20 minutes, or until the eggs are barely set and still moist. Slide under a hot grill to brown and set the top. Serve out of the pan, cut into wedges with the sour cream and chives.
Cook's note: This is as easy for a light midweek supper as it is for Sunday brunch.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food Assistant: Kate Ferreira