- 8–10 slices bread
- 2 T butter, melted
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 T olive oil
- 6 free-range eggs
- 200 g Cheddar, grated
- 150 g gypsy ham or bacon, chopped
- 2 cups cream
- a pinch ground nutmeg
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Flatten the bread using a rolling pin. Line a 30 cm pie dish with the bread, overlapping the slices slightly. Brush generously with melted butter.
2. Fry the onion in the olive oil, then set aside to cool for a minute.
3. Mix the eggs, cheese and ham or bacon.
4. Add the cream and stir to combine. Season with nutmeg and salt and pepper.
5. Pour into the crust base and bake for 45 minutes, or until set.