Why break the bank this festive season with exotic ingredients? Your pantry has the underrated ingredient that can take you from main to dessert: rice. Using Spekko rice, make these easy chocolatey bars. Toasting leftover rice gives a nutty flavour and adds texture to these treats. If you're craving something sweet or want a lunchbox treat, you have definitely need to make these.
- 1 cup Spekko rice, cooked
- 250 g Woolworths 48% cocoa chocolate drops, melted
- 2 T coconut oil
- 50 g desiccated coconut, lightly toasted
- 80 g Woolworths CHUCKLES® Shortcake in Milk Chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
2. Spread the rice on a baking tray and bake at 200ºC for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes to avoid any charring or sticking. Remove from the oven once crispy and leave to cool.
3. Once the rice is cooled, combine it with all the other ingredients in a bowl.
4. Line a 23 x 17 cm dish with greaseproof paper. Pour the mixture into the dish and allow to set in the fridge for an hour. Slice into squares and serve.
Photography: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Recipe: Jax Burgess
Food assistant: Sarah Millner
Spekko’s exceptionally high standard of rice gives you the confidence to roll up your sleeves and get cooking. When you know you have the best rice, you can cook outside the box and try new things. You’re free to put a fresh spin on the ordinary and embark on a taste adventure!