- 40 g Woolworths lamb rub
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 20 g fresh rosemary
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 x 1 kg leg of lamb
- 250 g potatoes, cut into thick chips
- 60 g hot vegetable atchar
- 150 g baby carrots
- 2 T mayonnaise
- 1 unsliced white bread loaf, cut into quarters and lightly toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. In a bowl, combine the lamb rub, olive oil, rosemary and garlic and rub the leg of lamb with this mixture. Be sure to keep some aside for the potatoes and carrots.
2. Place the lamb in a deep ovenproof dish and cover with foil. Roast for 45 minutes (15 minutes per 500 g), then set aside to rest. Rub the carrots and potatoes in the remaining oil mixture and place on a baking tray. Roast until tender and slightly charred.
3. Hollow the quartered bread and stuff with roast lamb, potatoes and carrots. Marble together the atchar and mayonnaise and spoon onto the kotas. Serve warm
Cook's note: “The atchar has quite a kick, so keep the alcohol low with the Villiera Light MCC Brut, or go slightly sweeter with Krone Night Nectar Rosé MCC. You can cram this kota with any leftover roast; chicken with a bit of crispy skin works just as well.”
Photograph: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen