- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 600 g Rosa tomatoes
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 100 g butter
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 350 g Woolworths bronze die-cut linguine
- 2 red onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 x 375 ml jar Woolworths tomato-and-basil pasta sauce
- fresh basil, for serving
- Parmesan, for serving
1. Preheat the oven’s grill. Fry 2 cloves garlic and half the Rosa tomatoes in 1 T olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat until the tomatoes burst.
2. Place in a small baking tray and drizzle over 1 T olive oil, the zest and juice of 1 lemon and the balsamic vinegar. Dot with the butter and season.
3. Place under the grill to caramelise, shaking the pan occasionally until the tomatoes become jammy. Take care that they don’t burn. Set aside until the pasta is ready.
4. Place the remaining ingredients in the same pan in which you fried the tomatoes with their pan juices. Break the linguine in half to fit in the pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, so that the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Don’t be tempted to add more liquid; the stock and pasta sauce will be absorbed into the pasta. This takes about 15 minutes. Take care not to overcook the pasta, it should be al dente.
5. Serve the pasta drizzled with olive oil, a generous squeeze of lemon juice and spoon over the jammy tomatoes. Garnish with grated Parmesan and fresh basil. Season to taste.
Fins more pasta recipes here.
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Food Assistant: Claire-ellen Van Rooyen