- 2 and a 1/2 cups 500ml Woolworths Cake Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Freshly ground Cardamom (Elachie) powder
- 2 tablespoons Freshly ground Cinnamon Powder
- 1tablespoon Freshly ground Ginger powder
- 4 Woolworths Large Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup Woolworths Butter with Fresh cream
- 1/2 cup Woolworths Sunflower Oil
- 1 cup 250 ml Fresh Milk
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Woolworths Large Fresh Carrots (grated)
- 2 Woolworths Large Sweet Red Apples (grated)
- 1 Fresh Lemon
- 1cup Icing (powdered) sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla essence
- Toasted coconut (optional)
- 1/2 cup Toasted almonds (chopped)
- Fresh Thyme
- 1 cup Woolworths Seedless Raisins
Sift the dry ingredients, including flour, sea salt, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, and ginger powder together in a large bowl.
Beat the eggs lightly in a separate bowl. Add the milk, sunflower oil, melted butter (slightly cooled), vanilla essence to the eggs and mix lightly together.
Add the grated carrots ,apples and raisins to the wet ingredients mixture. Stir gently.
Now add the dry ingredients a little at a time and very gently mix into the wet ingredients.
Using a large wooden spoon ensure that all the dry and wet ingredients are properly incorporated. Ensure that you do not over work/mix your batter.
Line a glass baking dish or cake tin with parchment paper and gently pour the batter in.
Gently tap the dish to release any air bubbles before placing into the oven.
Bake for approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes until fully cooked through in a preheated oven at 180 degrees celsius. Using a skewer check to see if the cake is fully cooked through. (Note: Carrot Cake should still be moist when fully cooked through.)
Lemon Icing: Beat together lemon juice, icing sugar and fresh butter (room temperature).
Generously pour glaze over a slightly cooled cake.
Garnish: Top with chopped toasted almonds, toasted coconut, fresh carrot roses, and thyme.
(Note: Using a vegetable peeler, peel thick strips of a large carrot and fold into rose shapes to create a "rose" effect.)
Serve: Slice once fully cooled. Absolutely delicious served on its own.