- 2 cups fish or chicken stock
- 2 or 3 whole stalks lemon grass, smashed and chopped
- 1 chunk fresh ginger, grated or smashed
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- Juice of 1 lime or 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 portions filleted butterfish or any firm white fish
- Fresh sprouts and shredded basil leaves for garnishing
- On the side:
- Jasmine rice cooked in coconut milk
- Sliced red chillies in fish sauce (optional)
Simmer the stock, lemon grass, ginger and garlic together until reduced by almost half. Turn off the heat and leave to infuse for about 10 minutes.
Strain and bring back to the boil. Turn off the heat. Stir in the lime juice, sugar and fi sh sauce. Add the fish, cover and leave for 5 minutes until just poached.
Serve in bowls with some broth and a sprinkling of sprouts and basil leaves.
Meanwhile cook the rice, using coconut milk instead of water, 1 1/2 cups coconut milk to 1 cup jasmine rice is good. If you want a gentle dish, serve as is, or for extra bite, sprinkle with chilli.